Fourth Greenhouse is Built
In 1935, Mount Auburn built six new Lord and Burnham greenhouses on a piece of land that had been purchased Northwest of Willow Pond (between current day Meadow and Field Roads). The greenhouses encompassed 23,200 square feet, which allowed enough space for the Cemetery to begin producing most of its own plantings. Additionally, there was a nursery, stone crushing shed, concrete mixing shed, and houses for propagating trees and shrubs. The land surrounding the greenhouse was made into a nursery consisting of 11 acres with several additional acres dedicated for a sod farm. The greenhouse was torn down in 1971, after operating for 36 years, so that a new structure could be built in the meadow area of the Cemetery.
Leave a Reply