Open Position: Director of Finance
The Director of Finance reports to the Executive Vice President and CFO (EVP&CFO) and is responsible for oversight of all routine financial transactions; oversight of the monthly financial statements and year-end closing of books; manage the annual audits for the Cemetery, Friends and Retirement Plan; supervises the Accounting Manager and Accounting Coordinator; assists the EVP&CFO in the preparation of annual operating, capital budgets and annual audits; and carries out special projects for the EVP&CFO. Serves as a member of the Management Team (MT).
• Oversee and provide direction of financial work and reports of the Cemetery, Friends and Retirement Plan
• Review federal and state tax returns for the Cemetery and Friends
• Oversee all necessary filings (such as Sales Tax Returns, Annual Reports, Form 3ABC, Forms 1099 and 990, etc.)
• Oversee of the reconciliation of financial activity between accounting systems and other databases (such as Blackbaud Altru, PlotFinder, ADP)
• Work with the Institutional Advancement Department in monitoring grant process, compliance and accounting
• Oversee all aspects of general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, disbursements, billings and receivables, account and bank reconciliations and payroll coordination
• Oversee all general ledger accounts, reconciles bank statements, conduct monthly and year end closing procedures, and prepares the monthly financial statements
• Oversee cash flow to ensure funds are available to meet organization-wide operating needs
• Oversee the organization’s fixed assets
• Lead and oversee a range of project implementation for Finance Department. Work closely with the EVP&CFO to define, scope, estimate and price all project implementations. Create, tracking and report on project implementations activities.
• Work with EVP&CFO to oversee and lead the annual budget process. This includes managing Prophix and preparing spreadsheets for budget process, train users and answer questions as budget questions arise. Assist the EVP&CFO in preparing final spreadsheets for Trustee meetings regarding the budget
• Work with the EVP & CFO in performing financial modeling for the organization’s operations in the past, present and forecasted future. These models are intended to be used as decision-making tools for the organization in determining possible new and expanding revenue streams and managing costs
• Work with EVP&CFO to identify, develop, implement and communicate business and fiscal policies and procedures that ensure accountability, efficiency and effective use of resources and internal controls
• Work with EVP&CFO to ensure the Cemetery’s and Friends’ compliance with federal, state and local regulations regarding filings, charitable solicitations and non-profit tax-exempt status
• Work with EVP&CFO to maintain relationships and appropriate documentation with banks, brokerage firms, investment managers and other financial institutions the Cemetery or Friends does business with
•Work with EVP&CFO in preparation of periodic reports to the Trustees
•Work with the EVP & CFO to oversee and lead annual audits of the Cemetery, Friends and Retirement Plan
• Supervise the Accounting Manager in the management of the organization’s financial records
• Supervise Accounting Coordinator in the management of the organization’s customer deposits and vendor payments
• Act as staff liaison for employees with financial questions
• Working with the Accounting Manager, train staff on understanding financial policies and procedures and reports
• Carry out special projects for the EVP&CFO as requested
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Bachelors in a Finance or Accounting required or equivalent experience. Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting preferred
• A minimum of eight years’ experience working in a Finance/Accounting with a minimum of four years’ experience leading an Accounting department.
• Four years of experience required
• Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and standards of financial accounting and reporting as established by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)
• Experience with computer programs related to accounting and financial management especially in Microsoft Excel. Also experience with Microsoft Office, including Access, Word and Outlook
• Demonstrated skill in dealing with internal customers
• Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks efficiently
• Demonstrated ability to be innovative, think strategically and carry out strategic and long-range planning
• Achievement oriented with a strong desire to set challenging objectives for self and others and to find better or more efficient methods to accomplish tasks
• A friendly, outgoing, intuitive, empathic personality who genuinely enjoys working with and helping people achieve their needs and desires
• Demonstrated ability to prepare and manage complex budgets required
• Demonstrated ability in communications, both verbally and in writing, with people from diverse backgrounds, including a healthy sense of humor
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional demeanor
• Demonstrated ability to participate creatively and cooperatively as a team member in the decision-making process required
• Demonstrated experience with and acceptance of change
• Intellectual ability to understand and articulate the Cemetery’s role in history and its relevance to contemporary life
• Ability to be flexible and creative as work demands change
• Physical ability to move and access all areas of the Cemetery, both indoors and outdoors, in all kinds of weather
• Aptitude for detail and accuracy
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and sensitive information
• Support the mission and strategic direction of the Cemetery
• Research and analytical skills to determine needs and present data to key decision-makers
• Must be able to move easily within a normal office environment, accessing all records and equipment with ease
• Must be able to go up and down stairs
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse and Operations Center, to meet with staff, arrange meetings
Hours of Work:
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasionally may be required to work weekends and evenings. Occasionally working remotely is expected.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Director of Finance” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.