Open Position: Horticulture Intern at Mount Auburn Cemetery
This position will provide training and experience to a student enrolled in a horticulture program or individual with ornamental horticulture experience, looking to increase their field experience. The Horticulture Intern will have hands on experience maintaining a variety of landscapes including, but not limited to perennial gardens, native meadow, ornamental shrub borders and implementation of sustainable horticulture practices.
Skills learned include plant identification, proper planting, watering, weeding, mulching and pruning techniques.
• Works closely with Mount Auburn horticulturists to execute landscape maintenance and horticulture projects at Mount Auburn as assigned by the Director of Ornamental Horticulture. Responsible for timely attendance, will be required to use a biometric time clock system.
• Responsible for safe and proper use of all vehicles and equipment used.• May perform any variety of duties as requested by Director of Ornamental Horticulture to maintain or improve the Cemetery.
• Expected to appropriately represent Mount Auburn at all times when at work; in demeanor, attitude, work clothes and written & verbal communication. Must present a good professional image per the Cemetery’s dress code policy.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• High School Diploma and completion of at least one year in a horticulture program or equivalent landscape experience preferred.
• Driver’s license required.
• Desire and willingness to learn about horticulture.
• Ability to work alone or with a team.
• Ability to read map of Cemetery grounds.
• Ability to communicate successfully with staff, lot owners and visitors.
• Ability to shovel soil and mulch, and to lift fertilizer, trees, shrubs, and logs up to 50 pounds.
• Willingness and ability to use or be trained to use and operate a variety of hand tools such as hand-pruners, handsaws, pole saw and pole pruners.
• Ability to use and operate related power tools and equipment such as utility turf vehicles, tractors, leaf blower, power hedge trimmers.
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
Work Schedule: 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Horticulture Intern” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.