Open Position: Lead Arborist at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Lead Arborist supervises and performs tree maintenance, including pruning, cabling, bracing, fertilizing, planting, spraying, and tree removals. Climbs with rope and saddle and operates an aerial lift. Performs a variety of other arboricultural and horticultural tasks as needed, such as pest monitoring and shrub pruning. With Director of Horticulture Operations, decides on daily priorities and oversees arborists’ work.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Supervise and perform all necessary tree pruning, removals, storm damage repairs, cabling, bracing, girdling roots and other tree work
• Prioritize projects and daily work assignments for Arboriculture Dept. for efficient use of time, labor and equipment
Liaison Between Management and Employees:
• guiding, training and advising arborist personnel in use of equipment, safety procedures, and in the more complex phases of their work
• reviewing and recommending improved operating policies and procedures (regarding issues such as safety, personnel and equipment needs) and ensuring the proper implementation and maintenance of approved changes
• making recommendations for personnel regarding such topics as work performance and evaluations, Code of Conduct, discipline, promotions and rewards
• Oversee contractor work as needed
• Operate a bucket truck, chipper, chainsaw, and hydraulic spray rig in a safe and proper manner. Use hand pruners, handsaw, pole saw, pole pruner and other related equipment. Also operate backhoe as needed or requested
• Perform some routine maintenance on arboriculture department equipment (Aerial Lift, Isuzu Dump Truck, chipper, spray rig, stump grinder and chainsaws) including: sharpening, replacing blades, chipper knives, stump grinder teeth, etc.
• Perform aerial rescue on another arborist in an emergency.
• Responsible for diagnosing plant pest problems, recommending treatments and plant health care improvements, keeping all appropriate records, and supervising pesticide spraying, tree injections, ect. for outdoor plant collections of Cemetery
• Plant and transplant trees and shrubs. Guy and stake trees as needed.
• Responsible for daily safety inspections of all vehicles and equipment used by the Arboriculture Section. Organize and maintain Arboriculture Section garages. Order Arboriculture supplies and recommend new purchases as needed.
• Responsible for enhancing safety in the work place by following and promoting all safety rules and procedures, and making sure that required procedures related to employee accidents are carried out in a thorough and timely manner.
• Responsible for correctly using an automated method (time badges) for the purpose of time and attendance recordkeeping. Employees are only authorized to use their own personal swipe badge.
• Assist with the general operation and organization of the Recycling Area.
• Assist with snow removal when needed.
• Occasionally lead tours of Cemetery for plant societies and other horticultural and school groups, and may assist with special events such as Arbor Day or conduct programs for the Friends of Mount Auburn Cemetery
• May be required to perform other duties to assist other Sections or Departments, as requested by the Director of Horticulture Operations.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Three years of arborist experience
• Degree in Arboriculture or Horticulture preferred
• Massachusetts Certified Arborist preferred,
• ISA certified within one year of hire
• Core Pesticide Applicator’s License for at least one year required
• Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License in “Shade Trees and Ornamentals” (Category 36) obtained within one year of hire
• Driver’s License, CDL Class II License required
• Massachusetts Hoisting license 2A preferred
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as pole pruners, leafblower, rototiller, snowblower, backhoe, bucket truck, chipper, chain saws and all other arboricultural equipment
• Ability to lift up to 80 pounds
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for long periods of time
• Ability to work outdoors in all seasons including harsh weather conditions
Hours of Work:
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Lead Arborist” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.