Open Position: Manager of Marketing & Communications
The Manager of Marketing & Communications increases public awareness about Mount Auburn Cemetery and its roles as an active Cemetery, a horticultural landscape, and a treasured cultural organization through strategic external communications. The Manager sparks conversation, fosters empathy, and generates excitement with internal and external audiences about a dynamic and evolving organization. The Manager collaborates with the Executive Team, Management Team, and content experts to develop a cohesive marketing and communications program that supports Mount Auburn’s institutional priorities and its financial goals. The Manager also develops external partnerships that enable the articulation of a strategically aligned brand position. The Manager is responsible for both preserving and elevating the Cemetery’s brand integrity and managing Mount Auburn’s public relations. Develops and implements an external communications strategy that supports Mount Auburn’s mission, vision, values, and organizational priorities.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements an external communications strategy that supports Mount Auburn’s mission, vision, values, and organizational priorities
• Manages the production of all Cemetery communications, print and digital, at the highest quality and in alignment with our mission and vision by working with internal and external content producers and creative experts
• Creates an annual communications calendar in collaboration with internal stakeholders and content experts
• Develops annual marketing and communications goals to support organizational priorities; measures outcomes and provides regular reporting on all messaging campaigns.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to understand the needs of all key audiences and develops unique messaging that builds trust and fosters connection with these groups.
• Develops standard language and messaging goals for personal correspondence, website and social media content, speaking points, presentations, and other external messaging.
• Trains staff on approved messaging guidelines and standards, while also holding staff accountable for remaining consistent with guidelines and standards.
• Oversees all digital platforms and communications channels and leads all efforts to improve Mount Auburn’s website and visual recognition systems.
• Develops and organizes standardized language, picture libraries, and other content that is of the highest quality and speaks to the brand of Mount Auburn for use in a multitude of organizational needs.
• Plans marketing and/or press events to celebrate and publicize key Cemetery milestones.
• Builds strong relationships with members of the press and increases awareness about the Cemetery through earned media coverage.
• Develops paid media campaigns as appropriate, and oversees all contracted consultants for marketing, or public relations.
• Reviews materials created by Cemetery’s executive leadership and other content producers to ensure consistency in information, tone, and messaging.
• Prepares written messaging in the voice of the President & CEO, other members of the executive leadership, or on behalf of the organization to communicate timely news or progress on key priorities.
• Serves as advisor to the President and Board of Trustees, enabling effective work with internal and external stakeholders while fulfilling commitments to Mount Auburn’s partners, funders, and the Board of Trustees.
• Develops and disseminates branded unform items to all staff.
• Prepares data collection and analytics for reports to Executive Leadership Team and Trustees
• Maintains Cemetery’s reputation as a provider of quality service offerings and represents the organization’s commitments and values in all interactions.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Bachelors in a Marketing or Communications required or equivalent experience. A Master’s degree is preferred
• 7 or more years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or public relations
• Experience supervising direct reports and managing teams are required
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complicated projects at once
• Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
• Must be dependable, punctual, and articulate
• Strong communication and presentation skills and an ability to communicate effectively with internal and external audiences.
• A commitment to effective partnerships with other department heads, especially development/fundraising, to realize mission-based goals. Strong computer and typing skills. Specifically, Microsoft Office Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) preferred. Social media and website management required.
• Strong storytelling, writing, communications, and public speaking skills, and substantive experience utilizing all skills in internal and external environments.
• Direct management/supervisory experience, mentoring and motivating a high performing publicity, marketing, digital, and editorial team.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; individual must be personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituency and staff.
• Experience with developing and maintaining budgets, including management of contracts with external consultants.
• Must be detail oriented
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as computers and mouse, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners. Must be able to access file cabinets and interior vaults.
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse, Administration Building, and the cemetery grounds including traversing stairs, inclines, declines, and uneven terrain in all weather conditions
• Must be able to be outdoors regularly standing in any weather conditions when meeting visitors
• Must be able to operate company vehicles (cars and/or vans).
• Position requires prolonged periods seated and/or standing at a desk.
• Must be able to move between desk, front counter, and all files
• Must be able to do some light lifting in conjunction with office duties, up to 20 pounds
Hours of Work:
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasionally may be required to work weekends and evenings. Occasionally working remotely is expected.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Manager of Marketing & Communications” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.