Open Position: Seasonal Gardener at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Role and Responsibilities:
Works as part of a crew to assist Mount Auburn horticulturists to execute landscape maintenance and horticulture projects at Mount Auburn as assigned by the Director of Horticulture, including but not limited to weeding, mulching, watering, pruning, bed preparation, planting, edging, fertilizing, and picking up branches.
• Assist in performing daily situational awareness within assigned landscape area to manage litter or landscape issues that arise and impact the overall guest experience.
• Assist in general landscape gardening work based on assignment and under the direction of the Horticulturist or Director of Horticulture, as described above.
• Other duties may include general grounds maintenance tasks such as grass trimming, leaf mulching/pick up, picking up branches and removal of floral tributes.
• Responsible for timely attendance, will be required to use a biometric or mobile time clock system.
• Responsible for safe and proper use of all vehicles and equipment used.
• Follow all Cemetery safety policies and procedures related to assigned tasks, including wearing personal protective equipment (eye and hearing protecting, gloves, etc.), proper handling of chemicals, ladder safety, and lifting and moving heavy objects. Bring unsafe conditions to the attention of the Director of Horticulture.
• Expected to appropriately represent Mount Auburn at all times when at work; in demeanor, attitude, work clothes and written & verbal communication. Must present a good professional image per the Cemetery’s dress code policy.
• May perform any variety of duties as requested by Director of Horticulture to maintain or improve the Cemetery.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Driver’s license required.
• At least one year’ experience with maintenance of annuals, perennials, shrubs and/or groundcovers required.
• Grounds maintenance experience preferred.
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• Ability to read map of Cemetery grounds.
• Ability to communicate successfully with staff, and visitors.
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
• Ability to shovel soil and mulch, and to lift fertilizer, trees, shrubs, and logs up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as hand pruners, handsaws, pole saw, pole pruners, power pruners, string trimmers, leaf blowers, etc.
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Seasonal Gardner” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.