Superintendent issues permits for automobiles
After several decades of visitors arriving by carriage, omnibus, and on foot, Mount Auburn had to adapt to a new method of transportation that visitors were using. In the same way that carriage access to Mount Auburn Cemetery had to be regulated over the years, when automobiles came onto the scene Mount Auburn gradually granted admission.
In 1908 proprietors were permitted to enter the Cemetery in automobiles and then in November of 1911, the Superintendent authorized admission of non-proprietors on a case by case basis. By 1912 the rules had relaxed to allow all automobiles, but consequently an additional watchman was needed. One year later iron gates were added on either side of the Egyptian Revival Gateto allow for automobiles. The 1913 Annual Report commented that “the architectural effect of the entrance has been enhanced rather than diminished.”
Leave a Reply