Open Position: Capital Projects Manager
The Capital Projects Manager, in partnership with the Vice President of Preservation & Facilities, is responsible for successful planning and delivery of facilities and infrastructure construction projects varying in scope and size. As the Cemetery prepares to launch a series of capital improvement projects, this dynamic role will require close cooperation with stakeholders across all departments of the organization to ensure capital construction projects satisfy organizational needs and requirements, are completed to the highest standard, and are implemented sensitively in the historic cemetery landscape and gardens. The Capital Projects Manager will develop and maintain project budgets and schedules, and coordinate the work of architects, engineers, contractors and construction managers through planning, design, construction and close out of repair, renovation and new construction projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participates in long term capital projects planning and works with Cemetery staff, outside planners and consultants to support the evaluation and prioritization of capital needs.
• Works with internal stakeholders, external consultants and design team to prepare capital project goals and scopes of work. Prepares project budgets to incorporate into multi-year and fiscal year budget planning processes.
• Manages design phase activities and communications between design team and Cemetery stakeholders to ensure the design achieves project goals and meets high standards. Ensures all discussions, meetings and decisions are properly documented through meeting minutes.
• Coordinates consultant and contractor negotiations, monitors contracts, and reviews and approves invoices and pay applications.
• Coordinates all capital construction to minimize disruption to daily Cemetery activities, including funerals, chapel services, public programs and donor events.
• Monitors construction activity and coordinates with design team, testing companies, and commissioning agents for adherence to project documents, drawings, and specifications. Ensures all projects are properly permitted and inspected by regulatory officials.
• Regularly monitors job sites to ensure adherence to all requirements related to protecting the horticultural and historic resources, and respecting the sacred nature of the Cemetery grounds.
• Ensures compliance with the highest safety standards, prioritizing the health and safety of all visitors to the Cemetery, Cemetery staff and all contractors and subcontractors involved with the project.
• Prepares regular progress reports including assessment of project milestones, schedule updates, project budget reporting during all phases of design and construction.
• Oversees project closeout and manages project turnover to operations teams. Manages system trainings for operations and maintenance staff, and provides support during turnover process.
• Maintains physical and digital archives of projects to ensure project documents are readily accessible for ongoing inspection and maintenance.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of experience overseeing construction projects of varying scope and complexity, including the demonstrated ability to coordinate the planning, design and implementation of large and small capital improvement projects.
• Experience creating, monitoring and maintaining project budgets and schedules from planning through construction.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of design or construction simultaneously.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to establish effective and collaborative working relationships with fellow staff, consultants, contractors, outside officials, and the general public.
• Strong technology skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and scheduling software. Experience with AutoCAD preferred.
• Knowledge of Massachusetts Building Codes, ADA requirements, OSHA regulations and related regulatory requirements. Knowledge of Cambridge and Watertown building codes a plus.
• Ability to engage on site with all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings and within a construction jobsite.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply:
• Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Capital Projects Manager” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions and actions at the Company are administered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, familial or marital status, sex, age (40 and above), pregnancy, qualified mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, any veteran status, any military service, any application for any military service, or any other category or class protected by federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions and employee-related actions, such as hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, training, and termination, are and will continue to be administered in accordance with, and to further the principle of, equal employment opportunity.
Open Position: Custodian/Facilities Assistant
Our custodial team performs essential functions that ensure a clean, neat, orderly and healthy buildings for visitors and staff. The Custodian/Facilities Assistant performs many vital tasks such as cleaning, picking up trash, and preparing for events. Works with other custodial staff ensuring that the buildings and grounds are clean and orderly. Schedules time and prioritizes work to ensure chapels are cleaned for memorial services, public events, private events and staff meetings. Assists Facilities Maintenance Technician with general facilities repairs as needed.(more…)
Open Position: Plant Records Associate at Mount Auburn Cemetery
The Plant Collections Department manages the mapping, labelling, and general record keeping of nearly 20,000 plants or massed plantings. We use BG-BASE as our botanical garden database and ESRI ArcGIS software to manage our maps. The Plant Records Associate assists in the processing of various related pieces of data management including as relates to plant acquisitions, removals, and plantings. They also will perform field work to confirm planting status, update tree measurements and collect any additional data required. A data-heavy position, there is approximately a 60% field / 40% office work split.(more…)
Open Position: Horticulture Operations Manager
At the direction of the Director of Horticulture & Landscape Operations, is responsible for managing the day-to-day grounds maintenance and horticulture operations, prioritizing for the efficient and effective use of staff. Performs a variety of duties to assist Department Supervisors during busy times (storms, holidays, leaf season) or when other staff are not available. Assists the Director of Horticulture & Landscape Operations in preparing and adhering to annual operating budgets and setting short-term and long-term priorities and goals with respect to maintenance and new landscape developments and compliance with the Master Plan and Strategic Plan. Uses heavy equipment for a variety of specific tasks, as assigned.(more…)